About the author: Kelsey Kingsley grew up in the great state of New York, and still lives there with her family and a cat named Ethel. When she isn’t writing her fingers to the bone, she enjoys a good (or bad) book, reruns of Frasier, ruining the lives of her Sims, and singing and dancing in the kitchen. She somehow survives off a diet of tea, doughnuts, and French fries. However, she hates cheese and listening to people chew. You’ve been warned.
- Tell us about yourself in five sentences: Let’s see… I am probably the pickiest eater I have ever known (it’s startling for most people). Music is my life and it must be with me at all times, whether playing in or outside of my head. I’m obsessed with tattoos – on and off of myself. I am a proud Slytherin and member of the Outlander Clan. And last but not least… I absolutely love Earl Grey and I could drink it all day, every day.
- Hard/paperbacks or eBooks? Oh, tough one! I do love the feel of a good book in my hands. I love the smell of the pages and the crisp ink on the paper. However, I’m also visually impaired and the beauty of an eBook is being able to enlarge that font as much as I need to. Can I say both?
- How do you come up with the titles of your books? They usually just come to me, to be honest. In the instance of Holly Freakin’ Hughes, it came from a consistent theme throughout the book. She refers to herself as, well, Holly freakin’ Hughes, and so it just seemed fitting.
- Salty or sweet? Sweet!
- When writing, what must you have with you at all times? Music. It fuels the words.
- If you weren’t an author, what would you be? A librarian, I think.
- When did you know you were a writer? I have been told since I was a toddler that I was a natural born writer. I had a knack for storytelling that other children at the ripe old age of two don’t typically possess, apparently. I have written stories for as long as I can remember, so I guess it’s just always been that way for me. However, it wasn’t until I was in my twenties that I knew that’s what I HAD to do to maintain my sanity.
- What are you reading right now? Voyager by Diana Gabaldon and Compromising Positions by Jenna Bayley-Burke.
- Do you have any writing rituals? I must always have music. Otherwise, I don’t really have any. I just write whenever I have a moment to sit.
- Is social media more of a help or a hinder? Help, in my experience. But then again, I’d be an Insta-Twitter whore regardless.
- What do you want readers to take away from your books? The same love that I feel for these babies I’ve birthed with my mind and keyboard. I don’t expect for everybody to love the story itself – different strokes for different folks and all that – but a sense of compassion for these people that are very real in my head. That’s my wish.
- What are you working on right now? I’m currently working on the sequel to Holly Freakin’ Hughes, and another standalone that is…very different.
**Contact Kelsey: Email Website Facebook Goodreads Instagram Twitter
“Holly Freakin’ Hughes” by Kelsey Kingsley
“People like you don’t fall in love with people like me.”
Meet Holly Hughes, a moderately successful teen advice columnist living in a studio apartment on the Upper East Side with her boyfriend Stephen. She has it all, but at the ripe age of thirty-one, she wants more. She wants to be married, she wants a family, and she’s going to have it all with Stephen.
At least, that’s what she thought, until Stephen announces he’s gay, and the domino effect of unfortunate events begins. She soon finds herself unemployed, single, and living in her sister’s house on Long Island, working as her niece’s babysitter for less than minimum wage. She’s pretty certain she’s destined to live in the Land of Mediocrity forever.
And then, her niece runs face-first into a tall, handsome man at the bookstore.
**Kelsey’s Books: Amazon-US Amazon-Canada Amazon-UK